Document Type: Original Article
Department of Chemistry, School of Science Education, Sa'adatu Rimi College of Education, Kumbotso, P.M.B 3812, Kano state, Nigeria
Department of Biology, School of Science Education, Sa’adatuRimi College of Education, Kumbotso, P.M.B 3812, Kano state, Nigeria
Human activities are a major factor determining the quality of surface and groundwater through atmospheric pollution, effluent discharges, use of agricultural chemicals, eroded soil and land use.The purpose of this research was to determine the physicochemical parameters of water samples collected from Sa’adatu Rimi College of Education, Kumbotso Kano and to compare with the standards given by World Health Organization (WHO) and Nigeria Standard for Drinking Water Quality (NSDWQ). Four samples were collected from different locations within the college premises for the analysis. The analyzed parameters are pH, temperature, Total dissolved solids, Total suspended solids, Suspended solid, Electrical conductivity, Alkalinity, Mg2+,Ca2+, ammonia, sulphate,Nitrate, Nitrite,Turbidity, Salinity, Total hardness, free carbon dioxide, Iron and Chloride. The results indicated that all the analyzed parameters are within the permissible limits recommended byWHO and NSDWQwith exception of turbidity level at A sampling station, pH concentration at B, C, and D sampling point and nitriteconcentrations at C and D sampling point. The results also showed that, the concentration of total hardness were slightly above the maximum permissible limit (MPL) recommended by NSDWQ. This paper also recommended that, the college management should provide a basis for the regular monitoring of water quality status.
- Udom G.J.,Nwankwoala H.O. and Daniel T.E. Physicochemical evaluation of groundwater in Ogbia, Bayelsa state, Nigeria. International Journal of Weather, Climate Change and Conservation Research, 2018, 4(1): 19-32.
- Fashola, F.I; Nwankwoala, H.O &Tse, A.C. Physicochemical Characteristics of Groundwater in Old Port Harcourt Township, Eastern Niger Delta. InternationalJournal of Physical Sciences, 2013, 1(3): 047 – 055.
- Shweta T., Bhavtosh S., Prashant S. and Rajendra D. Water Quality Assessment in Terms of Water Quality Index. American Journal of Water Resources, 2013, 1(3): 34-38.
- Aiyesanmi, A. F., Ipinmoroti K.O. and Adeeyinwo C.E. Baseline Water Quality Status of Rivers within Okiti- pupa Southeast Belt of the Bituminous Sands Field of Nigeria,” Nigerian Journal of Science, 2006, 40: 62-71.
- Imam, T.S. Assessment of heavy metals concentrations in the surface water of Bompai-Jakara drainage basin, Kano state, northern Nigeria. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences,2012, 1(5): 103-108.
- Akan J.C., Abdulrahman F.I., Ayodele J.T., and Ogugbuaja V.O. Impact of tannery and textile effluent on the chemical characteristics of Challawa River, Kano state, Nigeria. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 2009, 3(3): 1933-1947.
- Dike N.I., Ezealor A.U., Oniye S.J., and Ajibola V.O. Pollution studies of river Jakara in Kano Nigeria, using selected physicochemical parameters. International Journal of Research in Environmental Science and Technology, 2013, 3(4): 122-129.
- Mustapha A. et al., River water quality assessment using environmentric techniques: Case study of Jakara river basin. Environmental Science Pollution and Research, 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11356-013-1542-z.
- Saeed M. D. and Mahmoud A. M. Determination of some Physicochemical Parameters and some Heavy Metals in Boreholes from Fagge L.G.A. of Kano Metropolis Kano State -Nigeria. World Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2014, 2(2): 42-46.
- 10. Yahaya M.N., Umar F.G., Jibrin D.M., and Idris U.D. Assessment of water quality of river Minjibir for irrigation purposes in Kano state, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Agriculture, Food and Environment,2015, 1(3).
- 11. Nahannu M.S., Shawai S.A.A., Ibrahim M.S., Muhammad U.L., Yahaya A.S., Nuhu A. and Abdullahi I.I. Physicochemical analysis of groundwater samples in Gezawa local government area of Kano state of Nigeria. Advances in Bioscience and Bioengineering, 2017, 5(6): 92-95.
- 12. Shawai S. A. A., Nahannu M.S., Mukhtar H. I., Idris A., and Abdullahi I. I. Assessment of heavy metals concentration in groundwater from various locations in Gezawa local government area of Kano state. Advances in materials, 2017, 6(5): 73-76.
- 13. Bataiya A.G., Habiba M., Ahmad S.I., and Muazu J. Analysis of Water Quality Using Physicochemical Parameters of Boreholes Water Taken from Areas around Dala Hills, Northwestern Nigeria. American Journal of Water Science and Engineering,2017, 3(6): 80-83.
- 14. Shawai S.A.A., Musa R.K., Bilkisu B.A. and Muazu J. Evaluation of physicochemical characteristics of groundwater from selected areas in UnguwaUku, Kano metropolitan, northwestern Nigeria. International Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 2018, 6(1): 8-12.
- 15. WHO. Guidelines for Drinking Water quality 3rd Edition, WHO Press, Geneva, 2006, 398.
- 16. Dahiru M. and Enabulele O.I. Microbiological and Physicochemical Evaluation of Jakara canal Wastewater used for Irrigation in Kano. International Journal of Microbiology and Application, 2015, 2(2): 25-30.
- 17. Abdullahi, U.A and Indabawa I.I. Study of Physicochemical and heavy metals (Pb, Fe, Mn) Concentrations of Tap Water in Dutse, Jigawa State, Nigeria. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences, 2012, 5(2): 89-82.
- 18. Yakasai, H.M. and Atiku, M.K. Study on Physicochemical Characteristics of Industrial Effluents from Bompai industrial areas, Kano Metropolis. BEST Journal, 2010, 7(3) 81 -86.
- 19. NSDWQ. Nigerian Standard for Drinking Water Quality. NIS 554, Son, Lagos, 2007, 30.
- 20. APHA. Standard methods for analysis of water and wastewater.18th Ed. American Public Health Association, Inc., Washington D C.1998.
- 21. Hassan A.S., Abubakar I.B., Musa A., and Limanchi M.T. Water Quality Investigation by Physicochemical Parameters of Drinking Water of Selected Areas of KurekenSani, Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano. International Journal of Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy, 2017, 2(5): 83-8.
- 22. Basavaraja, S.,Hiremath, S.M., Murthy, K.N.S.,Chandrashekarappa, K.N., Patel, A.N., and Puttiah, E.T. Analysis of Water Quality Using Physico-Chemical Parameters Hosahalli Tank in Shimoga District, Karnataka, India.Global Journal of Science Frontier, Research, 2011, 1(3): 31-34.
- 23. Lukubye, B. and Andama M. Physicochemical Quality of Selected Drinking Water Sources in Municipality Uganda. Journal of Water Resources and Protection,2017, 9, 707-722.
- 24. Chindo I. Y. et al., Physicochemical Analysis of Groundwater of Selected Areas of Dass and Ganjuwa local Government Areas, Bauchi State Nigeria. World Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2013, 1(4): 73-79.
- 25. Yelwa, N. A. et al., Groundwater Prospecting and Aquifer Delineation Using Vertical Electrical Sounding (VES) Method in the Basement Complex Terrain of Kumbotso LGA of Kano State Nigeria. Journal of Applied Geology and Geophysics, 2015, 3(1): 01-06.
- 26. Uduma A.U. and Uduma M.B. Physicochemical analysis of the quality of sachet water consumed in Kano metropolis. American Journal of Environment, Energy and Power Research, 2014, 2(1) 01-10.